Street Photography

Monday 8 July 2013

Jack Codling

I represent whatever people project onto me. Pandemonia is an archetype.

Article and Photography / Jack Codling.

Pandemonia is a seven foot latex fashion week wonder. Is she a woman? A celebrity? An art piece? Or a fine art creation? Coming out of the KTZ show, at Fashion Week , I waited by the exit soon to see a figure in a nude block palette dress sunglasses and accompanied by her dog. Pandemonia was walking towards me. I was quite mesmerised and very intrigued by this pop art style walking art piece. The buzz of Somerset House was the perfect atmosphere for the performance art that us Pandemonia to be displayed, her cleverly crafted entirety is what a lot aspire to have. With masses of photographers trying to capture her as she walks seamlessly on the cobbled stones of Somerset House, she stops and poses for them all on what is her platform. The way in which Pandemonia appears to everyone is so much more impressive then any other celebrity, she represents what every celebrity wants to be, perfect. After seeing her during Fashion Week I knew I had to find out more about her and hopefully the creative behind her.

Q: What do you represent?

A: I represent whatever people project onto me. Pandemonia is an archetype. She is the embodiment of the modern myth – the eternal celebrity who is forever young and beautiful. She is the anima that exists in the collective subconscious.

Q: Do you think what you represent has changed since you first set out?

A: The core idea remains the same. What has changed is Pandemonia has gone global. By developing my art, I appear to have has a positive contagious effect on people around me. The idea has jumped from person to person. What she represents now appeals to people all round the world.

Q: People have seen you in array of brilliant colours so what’s is your favourite colour ultimately?

A: My favourite colour at the moment is tan. I am into the muted pallet.

Q: If you could collaborate with any practitioner in the world, who would it be?

A: Last year, I collaborated with Vivienne Westwood and recently with Tim Walker. They are tough acts to follow. I would like to do a collaboration with a major brand, something like a clothing or beauty or beauty products.

Q: What shows did you attend at the London Fashion Week just gone? What were your highlights?

A: The recent London Fashion Week involved such names and shows as Kristian Aadnevik, KTZ, Felder & Felder, Nico Didonna and Nina Naustdal, who is also a good friend of mine, by the way.

Q: Who/ what is your biggest inspiration?

A: The Media

Q: Do you ever look at the trends going on? If so, do they affect your clothing?

A: Initially, no, but with all these fashion show I've been attending, something is rubbing off. This season, I was right on trend with my choice of colours and fabrics.

Q: Have you got any upcoming projects/ events that you're excited about and willing to share?

A: The Royal College of Art has invited me to do a lecture on my Art.

Q: As a fine artist who's platform is the fashion industry, do you have any advice for those wishing to enter either or both of the industries?

A: I did not exactly follow the book. I started developing my Art not in order to get into anything, but rather because I simply wanted to. It just so happened that people spontaneously became interested in it. I think if you wanted to get into the industry as a career choice, you would need to follow the normal channels.

Taken from original article on Jack Codling.co.uk